The inefficiencies of fasteners

It is estimated that less than 20% of the tightening torque is actually used to preload (tighten) a bolt with the remaining 80% or more being being required to overcome the combined frictional resistance between the thread forms and the nut or bolt head face.

Minimising friction on threaded fasteners is a vital requirement towards reducing run-in torque, increasing preload capacity and eliminating thread galling.

Nothing but benefits

Offering the lowest coefficient of any commercially available coating Solid Lubrication Film (SLF 74/16) coated fasteners dramatically reduces frictional resistance to provide a range of beneficial properties:

  • Reduced run-in torque.
  • Higher conversion of torque to preload.
  • Anti-galling/anti-seizure protection.
  • Reduced bolt failure.

Precision. Uniform. Conformal.

Deposited to a precision thickness of 0.5µm, Solid Lubrication Film faithfully follows the contours of a threaded form without building up in the thread valley’s or impairing existing clearances between mating parts. Even ultra-fine threads can be coated without clogging up.

Flexible capability

The unique flexibility of the SLF process facilitates the possibility to efficiently coat a single one off fastener to economically processing thousands off.

Bolts, nuts and inserts can all be coated.

Wide window of operation

Ideally suited to materials that are notoriously susceptible to galling, such as titanium, stainless steel and aluminium, SLF provides an ultra-low friction barrier across a temperature spectrum from –180°C to in excess of 500°C that protects fasteners from damage and seizure through a multi-cycle operation.

With it’s low outgassing and non-migratory properties, SLF is a perfect solution for assemblies used under vacuum, space or exposed to radiation.

Improve your thread capabilities

Check out the beneficial properties of Solid Lubrication Film at our coatings section by clicking here and see how Refmet Ceramics can assist in overcoming your thread component issues.

Back to top ▲